Find out the answers to some common questions on our building services.
Have a question? Ask us by calling 01795 431378.

We have listed some answers to commonly asked questions regarding our building services below. If you don’t see your question answered, feel free to contact us on 01795 431378 and we will be happy to help.

How quickly will you provide a quote?

We aim to provide quotations within 72 hours of the initial site visit. If there will be a delay due to the size or complexity of the project we will always inform the customers during our visit.

How are payments made? What are the deadlines?

On booking a project a 5% deposit is required, with a further 20% deposit 4 weeks before the start date. All other payments are subject to the valuation of works completed. Payments are made via BACS directly into the bank account.

Will I need drawings?

If the proposed project involves an extension, loft conversion, or load bearing wall removals, then you will need drawings to be completed. It is best to consult an architect to have your designs drawn up.

Will you always have someone on site during my project?

Yes, we will always have someone on site unless we are in between stages of a project. For example, if we are waiting for plaster to dry before we can complete 2nd fix carpentry or if flooring needs to set before it can be walked on. This is all factored into the time scales given at the outset. We also keep you informed throughout the duration of the project.

What are your working hours?

The office is open Monday–Friday 8am–5pm for any phone or email enquiries. All clients are able to contact us via their WhatsApp groups or by calling our management team during weekends for anything urgent.

Will we have a contract?

Yes, we don’t complete work without a contract. If there is a change to the contract during the project, we will have this recorded on a variation order, which is signed and agreed on by Prime Construction and you.

What insurance do you have?

£10,000,000 – Employer’s liability

£5,000,000 – Public liability

£100,000 – Contractor’s all risk

£20,000 – Hire in plant

£250,000 – Professional indemnity

Will I need planning permission?

This depends entirely on the type of building project you are planning. There are some small extensions that can be completed under permitted development rights which would mean that you won’t need to obtain planning permission. If you don’t have permitted development rights or you are looking to go outside of what permitted development allows then planning permission will be required.

Can you help me secure planning permission?

This will be done via the architect that completes the relevant drawings. We can provide our support to you with the process, but it is not something managed by us.

Can you provide references or put me in touch with previous clients?

Yes, we are happy to provide a reference for any project we have worked on. However, we will always ask previous clients first before giving out their details.

Do you have a health and safety policy?

Yes, our approach to health and safety is covered here.

Are you VAT registered?

Yes, we are fully VAT registered.

How long are your lead times?

This will depend entirely on our availability when you contact us and how many projects we have going on at one time.

What guarantees do you offer?

We offer a 1-year guarantee from signing off the project. There also may be longer manufacturer guarantees that will be passed on to you once installation is complete.

What is a Gantt chart?

A Gantt chart is a bar chart which shows the project’s schedule and when each stage is supposed to take place. We use online TeamGantt software for our Gantt charts.

What is a permitted development?

Permitted development rules are changes that can be made to a property without having to obtain planning permission. There are specified regulations on what you can and can’t do. An architect will be able to advise you on permitted development rights.

What is a Party Wall Agreement?

This is a legal agreement between you and your neighbour for any building work taking place that will affect a shared wall or boundary. The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is the procedure used to resolve disputes relating to party walls. The owner of the building who is planning to start work must give adjoining owners notice of their intentions as is explained in the act.

Can I purchase my own materials?

This is an option if you would prefer. However, if there are any problems with the materials or they do not arrive on time, this can cause delays to the completion of the project. We would recommend that you allow us to manage ordering of materials as we can ensure we have the correct quantities. We have trusted suppliers that we use for different types of projects.

Can I manage my own project?

If you are experienced in project management and would prefer to coordinate your project yourself, we would allow this. However, if this is not something you are experienced in, we would recommend you allow us to manage the job as it can be stressful to organise if you are not fully clear on the process.

Contact our team at Prime Construction

If you have any further questions regarding our construction process, or you would like to get started with the project, contact us today. Give us a call on 01795 431378 or email to speak to a member of our team.

Contact us